Aciclovir (Acyclovir)Drug Uses
Aciclovir Capsules is used for treating chickenpox (varicella) or shingles (herpes zoster) and treating or suppressing genital herpes infections. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.How to use
Use Aciclovir as directed by your doctor.
- Take Aciclovir by mouth with or without food.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking Aciclovir is recommended.
- Start therapy with Aciclovir at the earliest sign or symptom of shingles or genital herpes (pain, burning, blisters).
- If treating an acute outbreak, continue using Aciclovir for the full course of treatment even if you feel better in a few days.
- For suppressive therapy, Aciclovir works best if it is taken at the same times each day.
Aciclovir is an antiviral. It works by stopping viral replication. However, Aciclovir does not eliminate the virus, is not a cure, and does not prevent transmission to others.Missed Dose
If you miss a dose of Aciclovir and are using it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.Storage
Store Aciclovir between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Aciclovir out of the reach of children and away from pets.